Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Walt Disney, Professor of Ethnic Studies; Endowed Chair of Advanced Stereotypes

original posting: 9/29/07

I hope to flesh this out more in the second edition of Tex[t]-Mex, but one of the things I failed to elaborate--and this is odd as this is where the kernel of the idea for the book emerged--was the evolution of Latino subjectivities in comic books; of course, I am indebted here to the crazy-good work of Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart in Dorfman, How to Read Donald Duck: Imperialist Ideology in the Disney Comic and Dorfman solo in The Empire's Old Clothes.

In any event, this image here to the right, from a web page that archives references to "I don't need no steenken' badges" web-allusions (!) merits further scrutiny. One question for my more comic-savvy galleryblog readers, is this a Carl Barks illustrated page?


UPDATE on DISNEY's alleged "Mexican" roots! {October 20, 2009}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...