Monday, September 07, 2009

Eyegiene Update or Ojos del 6 Million Dollar Man


Click the image above for a cool eye-based/technology tale off of Neatorama.com.

The more I think about Eyegiene: Permutations of Subjectivity in the Televisual Age of Sex and Race, my follow-up volume to Tex[t]-Mex, the more I realize how much it is endebted to my old school training in literary criticism. I sometimes lament the fact that I stopped publishing pieces of literary criticism, leaving the world of tomes and old libraries (cue Borges cameo) for the glitzier domain of film, photography, and visual culture. But it really is all the same at heart. What dazzles my curiosity is a story--it can be written, narrated aloud, projected on a wall, whispered in a corner, painted on a billboard, or flash to me in a dream; it can appear to me in any form. Chronicling the dynamics of this seduction, this "being led astray" via the magic of narrative, visual or textual, semiotic or semantic, is the real aim of Eyegiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...