Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Saddest Chapter of Tex(t)-Mex: Lupe Velez and Rita Gonzalez

The fourth chapter Tex[t]-Mex was the hardest one to write, the one entitled: "Chapter Four. Lupe Vélez Regurgitated; or, Jesus's Kleenex: Cautionary, Indigestion-Inspiring Ruminations on "Mexicans" in "American" Toilets." It was so hard to write, I went through three or four re-takes, one of which appears this month in Myra Mendible's collection Bananas to Buttocks. In any event, in my web spelunking I happened across the best cinematic take on la Lupe I have ever seen, The Assumption of Lupe Velez by Rita Gonzalez. Check it out if you have the chance or have your library pick up a copy. A screengrab from Gonzales's opus appears here to your right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...