Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Aztec Children: Prehistoric "Mexican" Stereotypes


"Mexicans" in the American imagination* is the province of these blog postings; one of the shortcomings of Tex[t]-Mex is that I failed to really provide the 19nth century backstory for Mexican figuration in the 20th and 21st century. I had meant to do a sustained piece on this phenomena above (microcephalic individuals clothed as "Aztecs" for itinerant shows in the U.S. from coast to coast), but never really got around to it save for a flash late in the footnotes. In any event, Eyegiene will probably devote a few pages to this phenomena, an entry in the history of entertainment in the Americas and the history of "Mexican" figuration as well.




*nota bene, I did not write "imaginary"--while I can be justly chided for my Jacques Derrida fetish, no one will ever confuse me with acolyte of (the other Jacques) Jacques Lacan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...