Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lupe Vélez: Tales of Suicide, Stardom, Barbituates, and Mexican Food

originally posted 8/09/07 and updated 12/11/07



The essay that appears in Tex[t]-Mex on Lupe Vélez (chapter four) reappears in a slightly different form in a new collection edited by Myra Mendible that has the greatest title for a book that I have seen in a long time: From Bananas to Buttocks!!!!! The book was released in September 2007 by the University of Texas Press. More on Mendible's opus appears here. A direct link to the book at Amazon appears here.

The overweight title of my essay in her collection is: "Lupe Vélez Regurgitated: Cautionary, Indigestion-Causing Ruminations on "Mexicans" in "American" Toilets Perpetrated While Covetously Screening "Veronica". Here's a great clip [ updated Tuesday, December 11, 2007] showcasing the gifted Mexican actor's range:

6 comments:

  1. I would like you to join me on blogtalkradio.com/dialectmagazine and at www.dialectmagazine.com for a discussion on mexican/american stereotypes and also the growing violence b/w mexicans and african/americans in Los Angeles. The show will most likely be on a sunday in September. contact me at dearnadia@msn.com or www.myspace.com/dearnadine. I love your blog!!!!! I'm Haitian/American and can appreciate the Mexican culture!!!! Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I will get in touch with you via email.

    Bill Nericcio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately the youtube clip you posted no longer plays. But thanks to Derek Taylor Shayne posting from the UK there are now some fabulous Vélez clips from HIGH FLYERS, a wonderful Mexican Spitfire tribute compilation, and the eggs skit from HOLLYWOOD PARTY.

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4EILrD16YBE

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yCZkFBic_OY

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MPOWRwNR4Xc

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wwflya_P7t8

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_c2vw6uio

    Thank you for chapter 4! (I can't wait until I have time to read the rest of the book... Christmas break for sure.)
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karmelita, Thanks for the headsup on the expired youtube video--I have substituted one of your suggested videos for the one that went dead. Abrazos, Bill Nericcio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me much of the topic that Geraldo Rivera's commentary dealt with in the film "Salsa" produced by Fania Records in the 1970's. Will keep my eye out for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Copies of High Flyers (excerpted in the "I'm a Gaucho" clip above) are regularly available on ebay. They come with a curiously evasive copywrite caveat: “This DVD is believed to be either in the public domain or is largely unavailable. This movie is reproduced for movie collectors only and is not intended for resale. Dvd’s are individually prepared.” Collectors.... I guess that's us! $5.00 + shipping and it plays great!

    ReplyDelete

Get your hands on one of my books ...