Friday, October 05, 2007

My Beloved and Twisted British Colleague

Every other year or so this son of Laredo, ¡Tejano y que!, goes to merry old England to study with SDSU and FIE. One of their ace professors, John Makey, is a good friend and matey and, shares this Chicano's affection for forgotten cultural artifacts. How else to understand the gift he made to me, on a student field trip no less, of the following find in London's Spitalfields Market:

Like manna from the skies, Makey gifted me with these "Mexico" and "Las Vegas" brand stockings by a British firm from the 1960s. Perhaps it was a suspicion about my ilk's fascination with cross-dressing, or maybe some shared confession on his part, all I know is that if Tex[t]-Mex goes to a second edition (hint, hint UT Press!), the third and new seductive hallucination gallery will proudly feature these ladies' accessory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...