Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Back in the Day; Nostalgia For/With Derrida

Careful readers of this blog may know that I carry a torch for our sadly departed guru of deconstruction, Jacques Derrida--evidence appears throughout Tex[t]-Mex as well as here, here, here, here, here, here, and, last but not least, here, a syllabus for my 1998 seminar on Borges and Derrida. Dr. Michael Mahin, one of the stars of that seminar, and now a lecturer for our department, just passed me a fragment/shard from that class, a collective letter we wrote to Jacques, then at Irvine, to come attend our colloquia.



He didn't show.

But we were not hard on the guy! We toasted him and as well as the shade of Jorge Luis "Georgie" Borges with love and good cheer; it was quite a seminar. It boasted the talents of now Dr. Mahin, Tomás Riley, late of the Taco Shop poets, Vincent Biondo, now a Professor of Philosophy at Fresno State, my old GTA Michael Leamy, Carlos Amador, now finishing his PhD at UT Austin, and a host of others. Gracias to Michael for pushing me into a vat of luxurious deconstructive nostalgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...