Thursday, May 09, 2013

Why Can't People Just Leave the Taco Alone?

If someone were to give me the word "taco" in a word association game, these are words I'd come up with instantly: tortillas, carnitas, barbacoa, lengua, lettuce, potato and egg, chorizo, and fish. Here are words I'd never blurt out: lion, beaver, kangaroo, or gazelle. That I can't make those word connections only proves I lack imagination, because a restaurant in Tampa Florida, Taco Fusion, has gotten all creative and is offering  "Safari Tacos."



It would appear that some folks didn't like the idea of Taco Fusion serving Lion meat and took to social media to express outrage. At 35 bucks per serving, the restaurant sold out, but left a bad taste in some people's mouths. Taco Fusion's owner, Ryan Gougeon, said he's getting scary threats and decided to pull lion tacos off the menu for now. He says it is all legal and responds to the uproar (almost resisted pun) by telling folks not to eat what they don't like. As long as serving lion meat is legal and healthy, the restaurant will consider keeping it on the menu. 

Should I find myself ever eating at Taco Fusion, I'll be the traditionalist nerd ordering the beef or chicken tacos. Boring. I know.


Thanks Gawker for the link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your hands on one of my books ...